Monday, December 08, 2014

Apparently I am not an American....

It is well-known fact that U.S. citizens traveling south of the border should not call themselves Americans.  Instead, they must call themselves "Unitedstatesians."  It sounds a little strange, doesn't it?  If a U.S. citizen answers the question, "Where are you from?' with "I am an American,"  they will be chided and lectured to the effect that "We are all Americans."  In other words, how dare one country seize the name of an entire hemisphere for themselves.  Yes, those "Unitedstatesians" are greedy little buggers.

Okay, you can tell from my tone that this is a pet peeve of mine. Here in the Dominican Republic, all U.S. citizens are called "americano/a,"  AMERICANS! Much to the chagrin of my Canadian friends, they are also called "Americano/as."  Because this term is so widely used in my adopted country, I get caught when traveling to another Latin American country by blurting out "Soy americana," before realizing I am about to receive "The We Are All Americans" lecture.  So I am supposed to say "Soy estadounidense," (I am a Unitedstatesian,) or  "Soy de los Estados Unidos" (I am from the United States.)

Here is what I would like to preach back at my lecturers:

1.  When you ask me where I am from, you are asking for a specific country of origin, not a continental origin.  There is a difference between saying "European" and "French" or "Asian" and "Chinese."  If I ask you (latino/a) you will respond some form of your country's name ending in "ano" or "eño"as in Mexicano or Brasileño, not the continent you are from.  You don't want me to call myself an American, but you really don't call yourself that if I ask where you are from.

2.  The United States of AMERICA is the only country in the world with "America" in its name. (Also, I am not from the United States of North America . That country does not exist.)  Historically many countries have used "United States" in their official name:  Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela, and half a dozen others.  The official name of Mexico is "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" or The United Mexican States.  So saying "Soy estadounidense" (Unitedstatesian) is quite general, and I don't here these other countries telling me I can't say this because they are "estadounidenses"(Unitedstatesians) also.

3.  In the entire rest of the world, if you asked someone for my national identity, the response would be some form of "American" in the appropriate language.  This indicates a person from the United States of America, not someone from the continents of North and/or South America.

4.  There is no such word as "Unitedstatesian" in English.  "Estadounidense" is a not translatable word!  The best translation would be "United States citizen."  Saying my nationality this way gives the impression that my rights as a citizen are being threatened or that I am in legal trouble in another country. As in "You can't do that,  I am a United States Citizen!" yelled in English to people who don't speak English.

5.  I REALLY believe that every country in the world has the right to decide what word or words will describe their nationality.  A prime example would be Costa Rica.  Costa Ricans refer to themselves as "Ticos."  Should I argue with them and tell them they are really "costariqueños"?  That would be rude, wouldn't it?

Sometimes I have answered the origin question by saying, "Where do you think I am from?"  Since I don't have an American accent in Spanish, it can be a bit of a stumper.  Swedish and Puerto Rican are guessed at as often as "Estados Unidos."  I am actually of Swedish descent, so that is a lucky guess! Thankfully no one has ever said, "Gringa" or "Yankee."  These can be derogatory.  Like other ethnic slang names, I can call myself that, but it is rude to refer to me that way, especially to my face.

Next time I am asked where I am from, I think I will say "I am a Viking."  This incorporates my ancestral home, Sweden, and my home state of Minnesota.  Oh, wait, I was actually born in North Dakota.  Can I still say I am a Minnesotan since I only spent 15 months in North Dakota and over 23 years living in Minnesota?  Plus, I have a Minnesota accent (in English).  Hmmm.  Where am I from anyway?

No comments: