Monday, July 08, 2013

Just a little fun...


A funny thing happened on the way to Boma...

We visit Boma every Wednesday morning.  It is a half hour motorcycle ride following the Yaque River literally to the end of the road and beyond.  

When we got to the point of walking through the river, there were cows mingling in the water and on the other shore.  Fortunately they are used to motorcycles so that when Rick drove through they didn’t freak out.  They stared at me as I waded through their coffee clutch.  

Then on the way home we rode past, I kid you not, a guy walking a boar on a rope.  Really.  A hairy, ugly boar was toddling along on a leash.  I wish I had my camera.  Then we drove through some cow dung and it splashed on the back of my calves.  I was sure glad to walk through the river again and wash the grossness off.  The cows were not still in the river.  I guess they had gone back to work: making cow pies on the dirt path.

My Little Buddies



“Dame chicle!” Often when I arrive in El Montaña, I hear this refrain sung out by sweet and smiley preschoolers.  “Give me gum!”  I often carry sugar-free gum to give out to the little ones because I adore them and value their teeth. 

So Tuesday night I rode out to “prayer meeting” (really it is a Bible study and fellowship, but let’s not get technical) with Damaso and a few other Dominicans from Hato Viejo. When we walked into the host’s home, two of my amigitos were there:  Adelis and Yondel.  I get such a kick out of them! But what are two preschoolers to do while the big kids and adults grow in their relationship with God?  Goof around as quietly as possible and then climb up in my chair and whisper, “Dame chicle.”

Hmmm, forgot to pack the gum and all I had is Ben’s “Dentyne Fire.”  So I whispered to them that I would look in my bag after we were done and see if I had anything for them, but I couldn’t promise gum.  That was good enough for them and they went back to quietly goofing off until they crawled under the table and got in trouble. 

So I took them outside and they began the chorus of “Dame chicle.”  I thanked them for playing  quietly during the study and then broke the news that the chicle I had was picante.  You English people know what picante is right?  It’s not Mexican hot sauce. It’s anything spicy.  Yondel said, “No,” but Adelis said, “I like picante!”  Of course, Yondel quickly changed his mind.  I gave them each a half piece and they popped them in their mouths.  Immediately their hands flew to their mouths, their eyes popped open, and they began to dance around.  Giggling, they refused my offer to spit the gum out and ran off to tell their moms, who were now finished with the study and getting out snacks.

No comments: