Thursday, October 04, 2007

Read, Read, Read

What does a new missionary do to relax? Well I, Becky (aka Rebeca), read! I love to read and Rick benefits from my reading through many discussions regarding what I am reading. Then, typically, he ends up reading what I think he needs to learn (did I say that?). So, the following are books I have or am still reading since we arrived in the DR:

Money, Possessions and Eternity, by Randy Alcorn. Be prepared to be challenged! I spent a lot of time in the Bible and in prayer while reading this book. I really felt I needed to gain a deeper understanding of how to handle our money and possessions. Although for Americans we live very simply and on low income compared to the States, we have a high income here and desire to use it for His Glory, not just our comfort.

Crisis and Hope in Latin America, an Evangelical Perspective, by Emelio Antonio Nunez and William David Taylor. This book is about 10 years old, so not really current, but it gives a fantastic historical perspective on the social, economic, political, and religious history of Latin America. It gives us some foundational information that we can use as a framework for beginning to understand the spiritual condition of the DR. With this we have begun to make inquiries of our Dominican friends to learn their perspective on God's work in the DR.

Anne of Green Gables and Nicholas Nickleby. I have downloaded these books free on the internet from www.gutenberg.org and www.librivox.org The first site has the written text of many books in the public domain. On librivox the books have been recorded chapter by chapter by volunteer readers.

Spiritual Secrets of Hudson Taylor. I have never really read missionary stories in the past, but somehow they are appealing now! We certainly do not have to brave the kinds of conditions Hudson Taylor did, but it is challenging and encouraging.

Walking with the Poor by Bryant L. Myers.
This is my most recent challenging reading! This book, written by a long-time World Vision worker, brings together three pieces, "a biblical framework, a holistic understanding of poverty, and a survey of development thinking" into a proposal for transformational development. What does it mean to "help" the poor, what is a "better future"? Here is one challenging quote: "The poor suffer from marred identities and the belief that they have no meaningful vocation other than serving the powerful. The non-poor, and sometimes development facilitators, suffer from the temptation to play god in the lives of the poor, and believe that what they have in terms of money, knowledge, and position is the result of their own cleverness or the right of their group. Both the poor and the non-poor need to recover their true identity and their true vocation." He states that the goal needs to be changed people and just, peaceful relationships for both poor and non-poor.

For the Kids: Minn of the Mississippi, What if You Lived During the Revolutionary War, Dora the Explorer, A Fish Out of Water, the Burgess Animal Book, the Book of Virtues, The Boxcar Children, Five Children and It, and many, many more. For Mommy and Daddy: Raising Global Nomads, Taking the Grrr out of Anger, and How to Really Parent Your Child.

Both Rick and I have made a point of reading the Bible in Spanish each day.This is not exactly relaxing, but a good learning experience! The other day I was reading aloud on the galeria (front porch) while the kids played with their friends. Janisa, and 8 year old, stopped her play to listen and complimented me on my reading. She then related that her mother liked to read the Bible. I asked if she had a Bible at home, because many Dominicans do. She said they had one, but it got ruined. I told her I had several Spanish Bibles if her mother wanted one. So next time I visit my neighbor, I will ask if she would like one.

We would love to hear what you are reading so we can add books to our wishlist!

No comments: