Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Learning Environment --- by Rick

It might seem like a comforable surrounding, but this is a picture of where they seek to "re-program" my mind. I know...how beautiful! And yes, it is! But the beauty is lost pretty quick into the first day as you see what you have gotton yourself into. If you don't feel confident with your own language, try learning a new one. I spend 4 hours each day here. The format is simple...Each day I sit one on one with a language helper. There is a workbook and a grammer book that guides the learning. Days begin with conversation (in espaƱol) and any word I don't know becomes an additional vocabulary word to learn. There is no place to hide if I didn't get the work done. The attention is never on another student... A great place to LEARN and I am so thankful to be here!

I have finished my first week and am doing well. I am currently in Grade A and made a lot of progress through it this past week. Unfortunately, I have been told, that people typically hit a wall at some point. Becky and I hope the wall is THIN. Everyday my vocabulary cards increase. Why do languages have to have so many words? Did they have so many prior to Eve's creation? Oops, dangerous ground...better go buy Becky flowers (fortunately they are about US $3 for a dozen down here!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick, glad to hear about how your language training is going.

Nice job on your new blog! (or as they say in Spanish, "el blog").

Anonymous said...

Hello again. Just seeing if the comments are getting through.

Anonymous said...

Great information to share with the world guys. Thank you for the letting us see and feel your life overseas. Blessings in language class Rick and to Becky in patience and understanding.