Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Blessings of the Bumpy Road

As you all have been following us through language school, you know that every journey has highs and lows. Sometimes the path is just plain bumpy, don't you hate that? Since I broke my toe I have REALLY noticed how bumpy life in Antigua can be. Although I can hobble in the house on my casted foot, outside its crutches all the way. From decayed sidewalks to uneven tiles, slanted paths, and the dreaded cobble stone streets I have had to keep my eyes on the road so as not to break more bones. I have also been jarred all over town in tuk-tuks with no shock absorbers. I have done my share of complaining about how crummy this town is for an invalid like me.

I have also constantly reminded myself that being on crutches back home in Minnesota in February would be no picnic either! Some of the things I had born with a stiff grin, suddenly have become blessings. Our apartment is quite small: how wonderful not to have to hobble far! My cooking area is minuscule: great I don't have to walk at all to cook! Two women invade the apartment every week to clean: wow what a blessing to have them do the work I could not do. Apparently as a result of constantly taking ibuprofen for the foot pain, I developed searing abdominal pain. GREAT! I went to see a doctor recommended by the school. He was great! He is a believer and he is the first Guatemalan medical person who is willing and able to give us our rabies vaccine. (This yucky and expensive task has been hanging over our head and after numerous visits to clinics and hospitals we had just about given up on getting our vaccinations done here.)

Today I ventured to the Bodegona, the "supermarket." Ben and Elena came along to help since I can't carry anything and I get pretty tuckered out on crutches. I think they were mostly in it for the tuk-tuk ride and the hope of a yogurt popsicle at Frutti-helado afterwards. As I gimped through the store using one of the few shopping carts, the kids did a great job of fetching items from the shelves. When Ben was sure he could reach a jug of juice that was a little too high, a Guatemalan grandma handed it to him and he grinned a "Gracias" to her. Crowded aisles miraculously cleared as I steered my cart with crutches sticking out. (Shopping at the Bodegona usually involves a lot of squishing around people.) At the checkout aisle the woman ahead of my insisted I go before her! At this point, Ben turned to me and grinned, "Mommy, you get everything done for you special!"

It dawned on me that I really have experienced extraordinary kindness, politeness, and generosity from Guatemalans since I broke my toe. Our landlady lent me her crutches and one day brought us dinner. A gentleman from church gave us a ride when he saw us waiting for the bus. The ushers brought me communion so I didn't have to hobble up to get it. Young and old have stepped off narrow sidewalks into the street so my crutches and I could keep going. Young men and old have offered to help me cross streets. Some have hailed tuk-tuks for me as well. It seems whenever I sit down and extra chair is offered for my foot. This is not to mention the numerous concerned inquiries about how I was injured and words of blessing and prayers for quick healing that are offered. My favorite sympathetic statement is "!Ay, pobrecita, y con todas las piedras en Antigua...imposible!" (Oh, you poor thing and with all the rocks in Antigua... impossible!)

Of course I can't leave out all the blessings of my family. Rick has taken up the task of grocery shopping, including the open market. I told him if he wanted better prices he should tell the vendors he is shopping for his family since his wife broke her foot. He also hoofed around town to track down medicine when none of the delivery pharmacies had it. The kids have taken on extra chores and errands to keep the house running. Our American neighbor, Andrea, watched the kids while Rick took me to the trauma doctor.

No comments: